With the rise of internet usage in the technology-rich 21st century world, it is paramount that we all take steps to ensure our children are protected and know how to use the internet safely.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss anything at all, please do not hesitate to contact your school.
Advice for Pupils
Here are five top tips on how to use technology safely and effectively:
- Have you come across something online that makes you uncomfortable? Report it to an adult immediately!
- Protect yourself from viruses. Don’t click on links that you don’t know.
- Treat any passwords like your toothbrush, don’t share it!
- Do you know what will happen to your personal information or pictures if you share them online?
- Some people may not be who they say they are; do you really know who you’re talking to?
Advice for Parents
Here are five top tips on how to ensure your child is safe and protected online:
- Keep the computer/internet access in a family area
- Be alert for any signs that your child is distressed or uneasy after using any devices
- Install software to protect your device’s security and set a search filter to restrict the type of websites that are found
- Keep up-to-date on what your children do online by helping them with any online tasks
- Keep evidence of any offending emails or messages and ensure you report them immediately
Below are some useful links to websites that provide lots of useful information to help children and families stay safe online and tackle any issues that may arise.